Thursday, April 08, 2010

What a beautiful day

Today is simply gorgeous out.  It feel like a mid July day.  It would be too much if it wasn't for the light breeze rustling through the trees.  The temperatures here have been at or near record breaking the last few days.  Today it's over 80 degrees.  That's unheard of for an early April day in New York!  Later tonight we're supposed to get some thunderstorms and that will cool things back to normal.  This weekend the average temps will be in the low to mid 60's.  Right where they're supposed to be. 

I find as I get older I am not the sun worshiper of my youth.  I love days that warm (70's) with a light breeze.  Gone are the days of basking under the sun's baking glow and praying for a dark tan.    The humidity is what seems to kill me and I can't hide from it where we live.  It sucks the life right out of you.
The highlight of my day was taking a nice walk in the late morning/early afternoon with my mom.  My only regret is that we didn't start out sooner so it was getting nasty as we heading back for home.  I'm quite proud of my mom.  She is in her early 60's and not in the best physical condition.  She has arthritis in her knees and her back hurts sometimes.  Today she spent an hour and 15 minutes walking with me.  There is a walking trail nearby that is partially shaded so we went there.  My only regret is that her foot (which she twisted last month) started acting up and was throbbing by time we finished.  However, she is willing to add walking into her weekly routine.  As of now, she really doesn't exercise so this decision of her's makes me both proud and excited.  She is going to tackle it head on.  We both know that we need to make some healthier decisions in our lives.  Mine is to get a workout in (whether it's walking or whatever) at least 3 or 4 times a week.  I'm at a healthy weight but I find myself tired all the time and my stress level is always through the roof.  And that's with me not currently working!  I'm also trying to get more veggies onto our plates during dinnertime.  I find that we don't eat as many during the colder months, plus my 7 yr old is a true veggie hater.  If you read my earlier post about that than you'll remember that we're working on that too.  I hope my mom and I are both able to integrate this into our families daily lives.
The day's been beautiful so far.  The kids homework is done and they are playing out back with their uncle and grandpa.  I'm going to get ready for dinner out with my girlfriends.  I'm so exited!

No comments: