Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Children at play

Hug o’ War

By: Shel Silverstein

I will not play at tug o'war
I'd rather play at hug o'war
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug
Where everyone kisses
And everyone grins
And everyone cuddles
And everyone wins.

I have to start by stating today was a beautiful day.  Perfect.  A little sun, a little cloudy and a light breeze.  Not too hot and not cold.  Amazing conidering the morning started out drizzly and a bit cool.  By afternoon it was perfect.  I love this weather.  On top of that I save money because I don't have to turn on the heat or the airconditioning.  Yipee!
The kids couldn't wait to come home and play.  It was hard to keep their focus on homework.  It's one rule in our house....we work before we play.  It was a definite struggle and I ached that I had to keep them on task.  Especially my son because he is at that age where he is not a lover of school and hates, hates, HATES homework.  But, somehow he buckled down and completed his math worksheet and his spelling stairs.  Tomorrow is spelling sentences...oh no!  It will be war in our house.
The kids made the most of their 2 1/2 hours outside.  I'm so glad that my kids love to go out and play.  So many kids are cooped up in their houses sitting in front of the tv or computers vegging, snacking and being stationary.  My kids are the exact opposite.  Once I give them the ok that they can play outside they are out the door before I can say anything more!
They rode their bikes and scooters.  They had a nascar like race....my son drew the race track with chalk.  He LOVES NASCAR.  He also had his hockey net out and played a shoot out with my brother.My daughter made drew all over with chalk and made up her own hop scotch type game.

The night just flew by and they did not want to come in!  I'm glad they were able to make the most of it.  I actually heard other kids out in the neighborhood playing!  That in itself is amazing.  There are at least 7 other kids on our block (ages 3-9) and I rarely hear them outside.  I've been given various reasons on why by their parents....it's too dirty, their too loud when their outside, allergies, too much sun and on and on.  LET THEM PLAY OUTSIDE!  It's good for them.  Get them active.  They can't be that active sitting inside or even running around inside.   My kids actually get along better when they are outside.  I won't lie, they still argue, full and fight  but no where near as bad.  They let their imagination flow and blow off a lot of energy.  I think running around all cuts down on their aggitation of one another!     
The poem I highlighted at the beginning of this blog entry says it all.  I want my children to hug and play not tug and fight.  All this fresh air and outdoor play really keeps everyone sane, happy and smiling.  Yeah!  I'll be sad to see this warm spell end.

No comments: