I wanted to share a yummy dessert I threw together. You can either use the recipe for Warm Cinnamon Apples or a can of apple pie filling.
My kids fell in love with the combination of the crisp outer layer, warm melty cheese and syrupy sweetness of the apples. They have already begged me to make it again.
I love that this is quick, easy, nutritious (sugar can be adjusted or sugar free pie filling can be used) and inexpensive. It's also very versatile. You can substitute other fruits or pie fillings....i.e. cherry, blueberry, bananas and more. Enjoy!
Apple Delight Quesadillas
Flour Tortilla Shells (taco size)
Warm Cinnamon Apples (recipe below) or 1 can apple pie filling
cream cheese (I use light cream cheese)
1. Spray small skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium
2. Lightly spray one side of tortilla with cooking spray
3. Flip tortilla over and lightly spread with cream cheese
4. Take a spoonful of cinnamon apples/pie filling and place on half the tortilla
5. Fold over creating a semi-circle and place in heated skillet
6. When first side is browned flip over and repeat
7. Slide onto plate and enjoy!
***for an extra yummy treat you can sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or top with ice cream.
Warm Cinnamon Apples
4 McIntosh apples, peeled and sliced (about 2 lb.)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon butter
1. Toss together apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in Ziploc bag.
2. Cook apple mixture, 2 Tbsp. water, and 1 Tbsp. butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are tender
The Warm Cinnamon Apples are also a perfect addition to breakfast over oatmeal or a side for dinnertime. This is also a family favorite that I serve quite often.
I hope everyone enjoys these. Feed back appreciated!