Sunday, January 02, 2011

My son...the itchy blob

On New Year's Eve my son told me his feet were itchy.  He plays hockey so I figured that maybe he got athlete's foot from his sweaty skates.  I had him wash  his feet with warm, soapy water.  It seemed to work and all was fine.  Later in the evening he mentioned that his wrist and arm were a bit itchy too.  I had him shower.  It seemed to help but he was cranky the rest of the night.
The next morning he woke up itching again.  So, I told him shower again, in what was supposed to be warm water (told me later he had it on hot...but didn't seem to effect outcome).  I couldn't figure out what he was coming in contact with that was making his body react this way.  I had him slather lotion all over and I found some athletes foot cream lost in the top of the closet.  That seemed to do the trick.  The weather's been crazy here...blizzarding one day and temps in the 50's days later.  It's killer on skin.
Too bad that it was suddenly obvious at 5:45 that things hadn't truly cleared up.  His face was swollen, red and blotchy. A check of his back and neck revealed the same thing.  I've had this happen to me before and never pinpointed what caused it because it would clear up before I could see a doctor.  I just found out a few years ago I have eczema, so maybe those symptoms were a precursor to it.  I'll never know.
Knowing that it was a holiday I decided to call the Urgent Care Centers in the area rather than wasting time driving him to places that were closed.  No one answered and only one had a message for callers.  It seems they all closed by 3pm.  Grrrrr!!!  Taking him to the ER wouldn't have been cost effective and we would've been there for hours on end.  His symptoms weren't life threatening and I'd honestly prefer to take him to the pediatrician.  So, we stayed home.
I wish it would have been as easy as slathering cortisone cream all over him.  But, there's no way I could put it over his whole body.  So, I turned to my friends.  Totally forgot about Benadryl and Oatmeal baths.  I should know this since I have eczema. Maybe I forgot because I only use prescription cortisone cream, sparingly.  He took the Benadryl last night and it helped curb the urge to scratch, though the blotches didn't clear up all the way. 
He looked much better this morning.  The blotches are no longer on the surface of his skin but I can see the remnants of it underneath.  If that makes sense.  So, I gave him more Benadryl and had him take an oatmeal bath.  I'll give him more Benadryl before bed.  I'm hoping it'll finish clearing it up by morning.  If it's not gone I'll be driving him to the doctor after dropping his sister off at school.
He's at hockey now so he'll be taking a warm shower when he gets home and we'll slather moisturizer all over.  Praying that morning brings normality!  I'm very thankful for my friends for their help!

No comments: