Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Relationships ARE Work

I think we all agree relationships are hard.  They take work.  Hard work even, if we want to maintain and help them grow better, bigger, brighter.

That said, I think there are always times we get annoyed with our significant other.  There are even tines, dare I say, that we want to throw in the towel and walk ( sometimes run) away.  And you know what?  That's ok.  It's called being human.

However, when you love someone enough you continue to work hard to fix and overcome problems.  Sometimes it takes some breathing room and thinking.  But, we come back for more because the relationship and the bond we have overrides everything else.

So here are some of the reasons I work hard to keep my marriage alive and well:

*  He doesn't put our financial future at risk by purchasing frivolous things.

*  He plays like a big kid with our children.

*  He is truly happy to be home with us when he walks in the door after work.

*  He sits with my son when he has a stomach bug.

*  Sometimes he will just walk up to me and hold and kiss me for no particular reason.

*  He has our my needs first.  We bought my new cell before his (even though his really needed replacing).  He helped me finance a car since my van died.

*  He gets indignant in my behalf.  Sometimes more so than me.

*  He enjoys snuggling/cuddling with me.

*  He graciously takes no for an answer when I'm not up to making love (my back, neck and/or shoulder hurt).

*  He works two jobs so we can stay afloat.  He rarely complains about it even though 3 nights a week he falls into bed at 11only to wake up at 3:30 for his main job.

*  Somehow he gets little sleep, works 10+ hours and wants to drive an hour to watch our son play hockey.

He just gets me.  We fight and argue like cats and dogs at times.  It's just the way we are.  We're both Cancers.  We both come from management backgrounds.  However, when push comes to shove we stick like glue.

When I see how some other spouses are with their wives/husbands it makes me thankful that I am with a man who truly loves and cares for me and our children.

Thank you honey for everything you do for us.

No comments: