Friday, September 23, 2011

Chocolate Applesauce Cake



I found this recipe on on the Fix-It and Forget-It Facebook page.  I just had to try it because it I liked the thought of a cake that didn't need to be frosted.  Plus who can resist yummy cake with applesauce and topped with chocolate chips.

This recipe is easy to make even if you have limited baking skills.  Also, the ingredients are things you probably already have in your kitchen.

This was a huge hit with my whole family from my husband to my 9 year old son and 7 year old daughter.  I made it yesterday and it's almost gone.  You must try this cake!  Simply delish!!

Recipe:

Makes 20-24 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking/Baking Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

1½ cups sugar
½ cup oil
2 eggs
2 cups applesauce
2 cups flour
1½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. cocoa

Topping:

3 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
½ cup chopped nuts, optional


1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine 1½ cups sugar, oil, eggs, and applesauce. Mix well.

2. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and cocoa. Stir to mix.

3. Pour batter into greased 9 x 13 pan.

4. Mix 3 Tbsp. sugar, chocolate chips and optional nuts. Sprinkle mixture over batter.

5. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
 
*** This time I used store bought chunky applesauce.  However,  I'm going to make some crock pot applesauce and using it in this cake.  I'm also planning on stirring a half cup of chocolate chips into the batter and adding a handful of shredded coconut to the topping.  I have a feeling it's gong to be simply divine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Yummy. I'm finding so many good recipes on line, my list of to-make is growing and growing.